Position posted: February 22, 2019
Closing date for applications: March 15, 2019
Job Title: Principal Software Developer
Location: Tallaght, Dublin
Reporting to: Engineering and Product Manager
Salary: Dependent upon experience and skills
Contract Period: Indefinite Duration
FoodCloud (CHY21177) is a fast-growing Dublin based social enterprise that have a vision for a world where no good food goes to waste. Over 30% of food produced for human consumption is lost or wasted across the global food system and food waste is responsible for 8% of greenhouse gas emissions. FoodCloud uses innovative technology to connect supermarkets directly to charities in their local community. Currently there are over 3,200 supermarkets (Tesco, Aldi, Lidl) donating to 8,000 charities across the UK and Ireland through the FoodCloud platform. We also have three Hubs, in Dublin, Cork and Galway, that connect food businesses with large volumes of surplus food to charities across Ireland. The equivalent of over 1.5 million meals are being rescued every month through both services and over 44 million meals have been rescued to date!
FoodCloud has been on an exciting growth journey to scale its solution internationally and has adopted a global licensing strategy where FoodCloud offers its technology to Food Bank partners internationally, and is currently working across Europe, North America and Australia.
More about our technology…
About The Role:
This is an exciting opportunity to join and support the growth of a proven social enterprise that has already made real community, environmental, and business impact. The Principal Software Engineer role will be integral in our organisation and your expertise will be relied upon for the design and development of the next version of our technical platform, contributing to surplus food redistribution on a global scale.
With an engaging work environment and a culture of incorporating team member feedback into operational decisions, working at FoodCloud is an opportunity to feel good about where you work and what you do. We offer a work/life balance, above standard annual leave package, participation in travel schemes, and a competitive pension matching plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designing and developing our technology platform to redistribute surplus food from food donors to their local charitable organizations.
- Provide input to all phases of technical design, planning, development, testing, deployment and system integration.
- Work with an agile team to bring system design and requirements to fruition within required time frame.
- Ensure that features that are built fulfill user requirements and adhere to business strategy and needs.
- Work with Engineering and Product Manager and COO/Business Development Team to agree scope and timeline of feature development.
- Ensure that technical design, development, and implementation deliver on our agreed roadmap and business needs.
- PHP web application development and full-stack experience
- SQL (Postgres preferred)
- Object Oriented Programming
- Some experience with Java/Scala preferred
- Leadership and mentoring skills are essential
- Technically highly competent with several years’ previous professional experience development
- Excellent communication skills that allow business requirements to be accurately reflected in the system architecture.
- Ability to follow software development best practices within an agile framework
- Degree in a relevant technical discipline or equivalent experience in the software development industry
- Highly technically competent with the ability to work within tight deadlines
- A thorough understanding of system design patterns and how and where to apply them in your solutions
- Strong fundamental understanding of design patterns and their application within an Object Oriented environment.
- Comfortable with and eager to work through all points of the software development cycle; leading workshops, gathering requirements, high and low level documentation of designs and architectures, user story definition, backlog management, architecture, engineering, QA, and release management processes
- Fluent English speaker. Additional languages a bonus
- Enjoy software development, want to enjoy your work and have a desire to continually improve, solve problems and learn new domains, techniques, and approaches
- 5+ years professional experience PHP development with popular web frameworks like Laravel.
- You will have extensive experience building B2B or B2C systems and engaging with technology laypersons to solicit and structure their business needs, and effectively translate them into tangible, planned, and timed deliverables from your engineering team
- Strong experiencing managing and deploying servers in cloud infrastructure environments.
- Extensive experience with data modelling, database design and implementing large scale databases, particularly Postgres
- Building architecture for large-scale features designed to work in a 24*7 SaaS infrastructure.
FoodCloud is a small organisation with big ambitions! You will be required to get involved in supporting all aspects in the development of the organisation, which may include ad hoc projects and events.
A commitment to the values of FoodCloud and knowledge of environmental/food/climate change issues.
Position: Full-time. Normal working hours are Monday through Friday 9.00 am to 5.30 pm however, business needs may require occasional work outside of these hours.
Location: Tallaght, Dublin 24
Timeline & Process:
The role will begin with immediate effect. To apply for this role, please send your CV with a short cover letter (one page maximum) to [email protected] explaining why you think you are suitable for the role. Closing date for applications: 5 pm on Friday 15th March 2019.