Job Title: Software Developer (PHP)
Location: Tallaght, Dublin
Reporting to: Head of Engineering
Salary: Competitive, based on experience
Contract Period: Indefinite Duration
FoodCloud (CHY21177) is a fast-growing Dublin based social enterprise that have a vision for a world where no good food goes to waste. 30% of food produced for human consumption is lost or wasted across the global food system. If food waste were a country, it would be the third largest emitter of greenhouse gas emissions, after the US and China. In Ireland, we waste one million tonnes of food annually and one in eight people do not have enough to eat.
FoodCloud uses innovative technology to connect supermarkets directly to charities in their local community and there are currently over 3,200 supermarkets donating to 8,000 charities across Ireland, the UK and Internationally through the FoodCloud platform. FoodCloud Hubs connects food businesses with large volumes of surplus food to charities across Ireland through three warehouses in Dublin, Galway and Cork. The equivalent of over 1.5 million meals are being rescued every month through both services.
About The Role:
FoodCloud is now in the process of creating the next generation (V3) of its technology platform for foodbanks across the world. This platform will not only include the ability to easily manage surplus food redistribution, but will enable foodbanks to create local networks and build relationships between donors and charities in a unique and meaningful way. This technology will revolutionise the impact and reach for each of our foodbank partners.
This is an exciting opportunity to join and support the growth of a proven organisation that has already made real community, environmental, and business impact. We are looking for a software developer with 2+ years experience with PHP on the Laravel framework to continue this work. We are looking for candidates with a mid to senior level of experience.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement high quality code in an agile environment and with a focus on creating impact for our partner organisations and end users.
- Working closely with the development team to ensure that all aspects of the platform are well designed and interact smoothly (database, reporting, mobile applications, user interface).
- Work closely with product and program managers to ensure that the build reflects product requirements.
- Work in a way that promotes high test coverage, development standards, code reviews and great documentation.
- Detailing the specifications of how features, improvements, and user requirements will be built so that they fulfil business needs, including architectural design and development documentation.
- Work with the Technology Management Team (Head of Engineering and Program Manager) to understand the product roadmap and prioritisation of our development work to ensure that the tech team create the most impact for the organisation.
- Contribute your input to the design, specification and accurate estimation of stories and deliver shippable iterations, to the best of your ability.
- Taking on administrative role for platform and development tool access and management.
- Work with Engineering and Business teams to manage platform releases that follow deployment procedures.
- Affecting product recovery and fixes in line with the customer service level agreements.
- Team work and collaboration with the engineering team and across the organisation.
- Full-stack developer – front and back end web application development using PHP on the Laravel framework with AngularJS on the frontend.
- AWS cloud infrastructure, Docker and CICD development tools
- Product and API design and clear documentation writing
- Knowledge of JS front-end development, Angular preferred
- Experience with Android and iOS (preferred) would be a bonus
- DevOps and database admin
- Knowledge of Agile project management, Jira and Confluence
2+ years experience in a software developer role required. A bachelor’s degree in computer science or similar is required.
Experience as a software developer in a busy, dynamic, and agile focused environment and previous experience in an SME preferable.
- 23 Days Annual Leave plus a day off for your birthday
- Company matching pension plan (up to 5%) after 6 months
- Apple Computer
- Discounted gym membership, tax saver, cycle to work
- Learning and development programme with LinkedIn Learning
- Positive and impact driven work culture
FoodCloud is a small non-profit organisation with big ambitions! You will be required to get involved in supporting all aspects in the development of the organisation, which may include ad hoc projects and events.
A commitment to the values of FoodCloud and awareness of environmental, food and climate change issues.
Full-time. We are flexible but normal working hours are Monday through Friday 9.00 am to 5.30 pm however, business needs may require occasional work outside of these hours.
On-call technical support shifts will be required.
Location: FoodCloud Hub, Tallaght, Dublin 24
The role will begin with immediate effect. To apply for this role, please send your CV with a short cover letter (one page maximum) to [email protected] explaining why you think you are suitable for the role.