Job Title: Hub (Warehouse) Operative
Location: Little Island, Cork
Reporting to: Hub Supervisor
Contract Period: 6 Month Fixed-Term Contract
In Ireland, since 2013, FoodCloud (CHY21177) have established two national solutions for food redistribution: a network of three food banks (Cork, Galway and Dublin) that redistribute large quantities of surplus food across Ireland and a technology solution that connects food businesses directly to local charities.
Working with over 600 Irish charities, an average of 2,200 tonnes is rescued annually with an estimated value of €6.7m and leading to an avoidance of estimated 7m tonnes of Co2 emissions equivalent. FoodCloud’s technology is also used by Food Banks internationally and currently connects over 3,000 supermarkets with surplus food directly to charities across the UK, Australia and is being trialled in Poland and the Czech Republic.
30% of food produced for human consumption is lost or wasted across the global food system. If food waste were a country, it would be the third largest emitter of greenhouse gas emissions, after the US and China. In Ireland, we waste one million tonnes of food annually and one in eight people do not have enough to eat.
Cork Redistribution Hub
All of our locations are following best practice HSE guidelines on social distancing and personal hygiene.
Our Hub in Little Island works to serve the food industry and the charity sector in the Munster area. The Hub is currently open between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm where we receive deliveries from various food companies including producers and retailers and redistribute this food to charities in the most efficient way possible. During this 6 month employment period we will be extending these hours from 8:00am – 9:00pm
About The Role:
This is an exciting opportunity to join and support the growth of a proven organization that has already been making real community, environmental, and business impact.
The key duties are: picking and packing orders, booking in and putting away stock (ambient, chilled, and frozen) working with volunteers where applicable, adhering to food safety and hygiene regulations, loading and unloading vehicles for distribution and collection of food and ensuring the ongoing success of Hub for FoodCloud.
Person and Skill Specifications:
- You must be able to confirm that In the past 14 days, you have not come into close contact with someone who has Covid-19 (within a 2 meter distance or shared accommodation) and that you have not had any symptoms of Covid-19 (coughing, fever, shortness or breath, difficulty breathing).
- Positive attitude and willingness to develop new skills.
- At least 1 year experience of working in one or more of the following areas: food distribution, warehousing operation.
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Experience of working in a highly regulated environment.
- Experience with operating a pallet truck, and other warehouse handling equipment .
- Full, clean Irish driver’s license
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Willing to Train
- Willing to train and operate our WMS software system
- Willing to train to the required recognised Food Safety and Health and Safety qualifications
- Willing to adapt and assist with the daily workload in the warehouse
- Willing to work on own initiative
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Comply, on a daily basis, with issues including food hygiene, health and safety, security of the van, and the safety and wellbeing of all van staff and volunteers.
- Maintain a positive relationship and good communication with food suppliers and community member recipient projects.
- Review all supplier and charity collections with the Hubs Supervisor on a daily basis.
- Work with the Hubs Supervisor to develop new operational and logistics procedures, and lead on the implementation of these procedures.
- Assist the Hubs Supervisor with warehouse duties: booking in product (goods in and out), picking orders, stock taking, general housekeeping, and other duties per business needs.
- Load vehicles and distribute products to charities on a daily basis.
- Ensure that the vehicles used by the Hub are inspected, maintained, roadworthy, and legal (taxed and insured, etc.). This will include weekly cleaning of vans.
- Be responsible for the Health and Safety of yourself and others around you.
- Comply with all FoodCloud policies and procedures and with industry standards as required by food donors and regulators.
- Comply with monitoring and regulation systems as required for the organisation’s activities and report on these regularly to the Hubs Supervisor.
- Other warehouse duties including loading /unloading of vehicles
- Dispatch/Checking of orders to charities collecting each afternoon.
- Successful candidate must hold or be willing to gain Level 1 certification in Food Safety for Catering
- Other duties as required per business needs.
FoodCloud is a small organisation with big ambitions! You will be required to get involved in supporting all aspects in the development of the organisation, which may include ad hoc projects and events. A commitment to the values of FoodCloud and knowledge of environmental/food/climate change issues.
Location: Little Island, Cork
Position: Full-time, 39 hours per week. Flexible working will be required. All shifts will be communicated and agreed on 2 weeks prior with your line manager. The morning shifts begin as early as 8:00 am, the afternoon shifts end as late as 9:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Typical shifts are 8:00am-5:00pm or 12:00pm-9:00pm, but you may be required to work outside of these shifts.
Timeline & Process: